I made one of my favorite simple dishes for lunch today: chicken fried rice. This is a great meal to make when you want something quick, satisfying and healthy.
A lot of times I don’t end up posting recipes on here because I forget to take pictures of the food. Well, today I only got the above picture (snapped on my handy iphone) but I decided to post anyway because who knows when I’ll actually take anything better.
So, here is what you need:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or 1/2 t.)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, cold (follow the instructions here to cook fantastic brown rice!)
- 1-2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (depending on how much chicken you like – I used about 1 1/2 cups today)
Note: I like to keep both cooked rice and shredded chicken in the freezer so that I can just pull them out when needed for a quick meal.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion begins to feel tender.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and then add to the onion and garlic and cook.
- Add rice and chicken. Cook and stir until the rice hot. Add salt to taste and enjoy!
This dish is so simple that I probably didn’t need to type up the directions. But anyway… if you’ve never made chicken fried rice before you should try it; it’s SO yummy!